This Would Have To Be One Of The Craziest Experiences Of My Life

This would have to be one of the craziest experiences of my life. There is no other word for it. I went into labour at 38 weeks on Monday evening (1st February) with mild pelvic cramping. As the evening wore on, the cramps turned into rhythmic contractions that were uncomfortable but not painful, around 10-12 minutes apart. But they kept me up at night. By morning time around 5am they had become 4-5 minutes apart and much stronger. I prepared my bags and thought about leaving for the hospital by about 11am on Tuesday. But funnily the contractions started getting milder and spaced further apart as we approached that time.

I spent the day at home instead, bouncing on my birth ball, listening to affirmations and walking around in the park. By evening on Tuesday, the contractions were back in spacing and intensity. Again they were strong enough to keep me awake. By about 3am on Wednesday morning, they became 3 minutes apart and pretty much unbearable. We left for the hospital and checked in at 4am. I was only 2.5cm dilated but they decided to keep me because of the intensity of the contractions. Again, as the day wore on, on Wednesday morning, the contractions became slightly further apart. But stronger. I was quite exhausted from lack of sleep and the discomfort from the contractions. Spent the day using the equipment in the room-ball, yoga mat etc and practising the poses from yoga class and meditating. Again, was very tired but determined.

Wednesday night at the hospital, I was still only 3cm dilated and absolutely exhausted. Was given an injection of phenergan for sleep but that hardly worked because the contractions were completely unbearable now and leaving me gasping for breath between them. By Thursday morning, I had transitioned into active labour and contractions were coming at every 30 seconds and 1.5 minutes long. By now, I had not slept in 72 hours and was barely conscious through the pain. At noon on Thursday I had dilated to 9cm finally and delivered my daughter through normal delivery around lunch after 80 hours of labour and no sleep.

It would not have been possible without the mental and physical training, Lamaze classes and guidance in deep breathing/ meditation through Rita’s Pregnancy 101 thank you so much Neeru Ma’am for giving all women the strength and mental tenacity to make it through this life transforming process, no matter what it entails.

Learn more about pregnancy, baby care & breastfeed related information and pregnancy classes visit our website Rita’s Pregnancy 101.

Neeru Verma

Related Posts
Leave a reply